Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Championing kids

Today I had a teacher come to me to talk about her class. She mentioned that one of the girls wanted me time because she didn't get it at home. The teacher wanted to give her me time but was spending all her day chasing down the 4 behaviour problems in her class as well as dealing with all of the low students. I suggested to her that she send the girl to me in the library. I would listen and talk to her while saying good things to make her feel good about herself. The teacher liked the idea.

When the child came over we had a good discussion about what things she is good at and when she left she was feeling very happy.

I am glad I was able to help the teacher. I am very happy to get to know the student. When we talk tomorrow I will spend more time building her up. Everyone needs a champion. Today I was hers.

When we champion kids we give them the ability to see themselves through different eyes. What a great feeling that is to see them light up knowing someone cares about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment